Are you employed or seeking employment?
The great author, Anita Bunkley, reminds us that in order to move forward you must adjust your mindset and create a personal mission statement. If you don’t have one, it’s time to create one. Anita also stresses, “Be honest with yourself and those you worry about offending. Enhancing your visibility is something you have to do to reach the goals you’ve set for yourself. You are not being self-centered or selfish.” Other great authors practice the following which can be applied to all careers:
- Pray, but be realistic. You are not a celebrity! That may be your end game, but you are dealing with the present.
- Find a mentor or mentor(s) who know the game you want to play. It’s always good to rub shoulders with a professional in your field. Frankly stated, find someone who knows more than you.
- Join organizations or attend functions where experts in the field you wish to enter meet and discuss topics and skills that you need.
- You will need to be formally educated, trained by apprenticship or self-taught with visible competency in the profession you are seeking.
- There are no shortcuts, so don’t waste your time looking for them.
- Remove the distractions (or people) from your life that impede your growth.
- Time is not on your side.
- Embrace people of all races and cultures. Some of them will be your finest resources and allies along the way.
- Keep your ego in check. Being humble in the game of life goes a long way on the way to the top and really helps on the way down!
- Stay human!
Remain committed to your craft and success will come if you follow the basic rules of networking. You can pray for success all day and night, but you will need to work, focus, and work again while you pray. It takes time to learn how to make a good cup of coffee. It takes time to learn how to make a better you. In short, arrange your priorities and keep moving until you reach the next STATION!